Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Wash




It may seem like I'm having a productive weekend, but in fact these images are all very small (half A4).
Here are some things of note.
1) I use pen and ink for a couple of reasons. It's a challenging medium for a starter. And I also have huge admiration for artists that can create all that light and shade with only black and white cross hatching. As far as my own work is concerned, I've only just begun to really understand how to do this and have really only been really happy with a few images I've created.
2) I took it as bit of a blow when I started adding a wash to my images a few months back (seemed to be giving up on a totally black and white world). I was very pleased with the results however and had forgotten about it until this afternoon.
3) The scanner here at work is hopeless. These images are done entirely in black ink and water, so essentially they are grey scale. The scanner creates a vague purple hue which is not accurate.
4) I am currently working on some kind of story for these characters. Peril and mayhem scenarios I imagine.

3 comments:

Raymond Xu said...

i just came across your blog and i have to say your work is fantastic. I agree with you on the pen and ink, it is a tough medium but very satisfying in the end. The below images are awesome.

Girl said...

Peril and mayhem; nice. It suits the moody feel.

Elliot Cowan said...

That's very kind of you to day so Raymond - there's some fine work on your own blog
Cheers.

JAG - Peril and mayhem - that's me!

 
Blog Directory - Blogged