Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Friday, November 04, 2005

A Monstrous Flashback!

As I knocked off this quick scribble today, I had a sudden flashback to my childhood.

There were a series of Australian childrens books - Bottersnikes and Gumbles.
The Gumbles were kind of the Australian equivalent of the Wombles (I don't know of an American version of these characters).
They were white and squashy (like dough) and in charge of cleaning up the bush.
Their enternal enemies were the Bottersnikes, lumpy green evil things always intent on kidnapping the Gumbles and forcing them to do their bidding.
There were several books in the series, illustrated by an very talented fellow called Desmond Digby.
I can't find much in the way of imagery online, but you can find some sinopsis' here, and a few illustrations - Bottersnikes and Gumbles.
I'd also like to encourage anyone who hasn't visited yet, to please take a gander at the handiwork of the late Tove Jannson.
Both of these illustrators were a huge influence on my young brain.

6 comments:

Jav said...

Hey Elliot,
I gotta say Your work is quite charming! loose and alive!
Love those cute ladies.. phenomenal!
I'll be checking back!

Drazen said...

great scribble.

Elliot Cowan said...

Jav - thanks pal. Drop in anytime.

Drazen - thanks mate. Such a gushing review means a great deal to me : )

Unknown said...

Love this a lot!! Fun piece, rich personality!

jonny said...

I definitely remember these!

The books did make it to England, didn't they?

Elliot Cowan said...

JNS - I believe they did, yes.

 
Blog Directory - Blogged