Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Industry and Art

Good morning Bloggers.
I feel that part of my obligation as a blogger (oblogation perhaps?) is to show off some of the nice things about the island state I live in - Tasmania.
Recently, they decision makers here in Launceston had the genuinely brilliant idea of taking a large run down ex-train factory, and expanding the local museum and art gallery into it.
They also had the even more brilliant idea of incorporating the Academy of the Arts into the same facility.
Instead of knocking the whole lot down, they used the existing buildings and built the art school and museum and art gallery around it, creating a lovely mix of industry and art.
I didn't get many snaps actually inside the gallery (I was shooed out which was dissapointing - I was only taking wide shots and nothing of specific art pieces).
The majority of the images below were taken in an installment shed - the main shed where the building of trains, munitions during the war and all sorts of stuff involving furnaces and molten metal.
The shed was left mostly as it was when it closed (late 60s I believe) and they've installed a marvellous soundscape - clanking, drilling etc.
It's one of my favourite places in the world and I find it a mesmorising place to visit.
I'm very much hoping you guys get something out of these images - the delightful Matt Jonez in particular, who inspired me to take these snaps after he took these pictures of another, much more elderly factory in Wales.
All of these pictures were taken with my dirty little mobile phone camera, so the quality aint great, but you'll get the idea.
And for Beth - once again here are more nice pictures with no-one in them.
These image seem to post somewhat smaller than the original, so if anyone would like a larger version of this image, let me know and I'll email it to you.

No comments:

 
Blog Directory - Blogged