Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Farewell to Wayne-O-Rama

A farewell... Has anyone participated in local theatre, or maybe did the high school musical?
There's a very particular energy to it.
Even if what you're doing is only two months out of your life it's two months of a new family and new routine and new adventures.
Intimate little friendships.
New people. Boozy times.
Late nights. Exhaustion and shenanigans.
And then you have your final performance and everyone toddles back to their regular lives and somehow it's hard to imagine that a few weeks back you were singing on stage or painting a set or sewing a costume.
And you know you were there doing the thing just a little while ago but it seems so distant...

The point I'm getting at is that Wayne-O-Rama Chattanooga is wrapping up its year of magic and colour and cardboard and even though I was only there for a short time it feels like the play is over and the sets are coming down.

I don't want to drag dreary politics into this but I do want to say that Wayne-O-Rama came about at a complicated time in the US.
It's been the glowing light to Trumps darkness.
For every single hideous thing that orange motherfucker has said there's been fifty people through WOR who came out informed and inspired.
For every exhausting executive order there's been 10 artists who picked up brushes and painted some of the blackness away.
I am certain I am not the only one who feels it.
Support the arts, goddammit. It's what's good for you.

Young people and students. If you ever have an opportunity to do something like this, do it. Don't hesitate. Go get involved. Go get some art under your fingernails and down in your butt crack. It's life changing.

I want to thank all the Wayne-o-ramans who patiently let me mosquito the shit out of them via Facebook. I was never able to get back to the show but you all helped me feel connected.
Thanks obviously to Cap'ns Wayne and Mimi. I don't have enough useful English words to express how important the whole thing was to me.
Super Australian sized thanks to Bob and Bryan, for whom this quote from the Coen Brothers seems perfect for both of them:

"...sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. Sometimes, there's a man. Well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there."

I didn't tag everyone in this. You all know who you are, even if we never really met.

You folks are all superstars and I hope to cross paths again and maybe glue some shit up, just for old times. Do stay in touch.

If anyone is in NY please drop me a note and we'll go for beers but none of you people can stay on the couch so don't fucking ask. (Where are the tissues?....).
































No comments:

 
Blog Directory - Blogged