Also, take the time to visit www.elliotelliotelliot.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Dancers



There is a terrific Australian artists called Brett Whiteley.
He was a bit of a tragic figure because despite his cheeky persona he was unfortunately addicted to heroin, which was his ultimate undoing.
I was never really aware of his work when I was a kid, but I did see the image at the top somewhere and it stuck with me all my life.
He was often drawing these angry baboons (the monkey on his back)
I post them mostly because they are a distant influence on my own work and also that Oscar has posted a collection of angry monkeys recently.
The image below has nothing to do with monkeys but I included it anyway.


This drawing below has nothing to do with monkeys or Brett Whiteley but it was really fucking great to draw.

4 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

All good stuff, Elliot...Who doesn't love an angry baboon?

Elliot Cowan said...

Who doesn't indeed!
Brett Whiteley is the name of the man.
Look him up - there's plenty of his work online and it's terrific.

Vernetta said...

Angry monkeys scare me, I hear they throw 'stuff'

But I love a good tickle party.

Anonymous said...

The bottom drawing is really fucking great to look at! Just found out about your blog - and added to my favorites ;)

 
Blog Directory - Blogged